Sunday, March 30, 2014

When chaos calls

Today marks the beginning of the astrological new year. The build up of this new moon in Aries conjunct Uranus has led my mind meandering down places forgotten. A friend mentioned she was shopping for Dinah Shore the other day. An event of a past life I had worked twice and hadn't thought about for years.

The second year began for me in complete chaos. I remembered how Danielle drove me half way to the airport only to remember I had forgotten my ID. Needless to say I missed my flight and had to fly solo without the rest of the worker bees. When I got to Palm Springs, I also discovered I had forgotten to bring my main makeup bag and my phone charger. In those days, my main makeup bag was like my holy grail. Among my essentials, it contained my bare canvas paint that I needed if the makeup I applied was to last while working 12+ hours in the heat of Palm Springs. My phone charger made its way down to me the following day with a friend who left later but makeup wise, I was forced to be creative and work with what I had.

There's some quote that floats around from time to time on the web about success is when opportunity meets preparation. While I guess it depends on your definition of success, personally it seems my opportunities have almost always arrived when I wasn't prepared. Perhaps in an attempt to show me what I'm capable of? Idk. But as I looked through past Dinah Shore photos I remembered that was when I was gifted with the opportunity to do makeup on still, the biggest celebrity I've done to date. With very minimal makeup of my own, and no kit as I wasn't anticipating doing anyone's makeup aside from my own, my old coworker who I wasn't even on good terms with called me to ask for help. She hadn't thought she needed any other artists and was faced with the task of doing about 12 faces in an hour and a half for a fashion show at the event. With one kit between the 2 of us we made it happen and I got to do Jenni Shimizu's face.

I doubt I'm alone in the preparedness, or lack there of factor. Where sometimes it is a matter of being prepared - creating space or purchasing tools in anticipation of a project you'd like to see happen, other times I think it's a matter of saying yes to the opportunity and allowing life to then provide you with the tools. Musings of a new moon...

No comments:

Post a Comment